Thursday 13 November 2008

Plenty of fish, but no cod

  • Should have been there the night before !! Both Simon Jackson and I reckoned there would be a fair sea running at Chesil after the winds we have had recently, but in actual fact it was virtually flat calm and incredibly bright with the moon out. A stunning night and great fun to catch a load of fish, but really we were after cod - and they resolutely were not playing ball at all. I reckon the previous night would have seen far better conditions, for recent reports have been of some cracking fishing up there.

  • Whacking out baits off the beach is a little bit different to the bass fishing that I have been concentrating on, but it was a blast to get the Penn 525 Mag reels out, clip on some pulley rigs and make up some delightful looking squid, lug and crab baits. Apart from light tackle bassing on the Irish beaches, the majority of my shore fishing is off the rocks, and I tend to feel a bit "lost" on a huge beach like Chesil where I can't read the water and make head or tail of what is going on beneath the surface. But I was lucky to be fishing with Simon who knows the beach well, so I was in safe hands. Rest assured that he comprehensively outfished me on the dogfish and whiting side of things, but I was concentrating more on putting out big baits and hoping for a nice cod. That's my excuse anyway.

  • Above is one of the generally small and somewhat anemic whiting we had last night, but at least they kept the rod tips bouncing away. Dogfish I can always do without, but we all know that they have saved many a potentially blank session. What surprised me last night was the number of anglers all along the beach - great to see and I hope this carries on right through the winter. Cod have an almost mythical allure to us UK shore anglers, and I dread to think of the countless thousands of hours I have chasing them in years gone by. Worth every single minute though.

  • Any of you with young kids out there will know all about a problem I have right at this very moment - and it is driving me completely mad. My wife and I let our two young girls have no more than half an hour of children's television a day, right after their tea and just before we take them upstairs to give them a bath. Most of the stuff they watch seems to be complete drivel to me (Lazy Town anyone ?), but they seem to love it, and we make sure they watch programmes with at least a little "merit".

  • But what is this problem ? The f£%$&%$ songs that are played during the programmes, when they get in your head and refuse to leave you alone. Not very extreme metal or rough and tumble I know, but at the moment I simply can not get this "Iggle Piggle" song from the programme In the Night Garden out of my head !!!! My youngest daughter was given an Iggle Piggle teddy for her birthday on Monday and it keeps playing the tune. Totally inane, completely stupid, designed for kids, and last night on the beach I had this wretched song going off in my head all the time. I even had it bouncing around my skull when I was taking Jess for a walk early this morning. What do I do ? Help me.....

12 comments:

Lurch said...

Beats me Squire. I've had the tune that the pontipines dance to going around my heed for a few days.

Anonymous said...

"Iggle Piggle"

My wife reckons you have to either watch another programme with an equally annoying tune to extend your repetoire or rejoin the sane world and listen to some metal on your ipod.

Bassman95 said...

Get your kids to watch Extreme Metal DVD's instead of Iggle Piggle and then, after you've watched the tv with the kids, you'll have some decent tunes going round your head that you won't mind leaving there. Sorted!!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL...I'm right with you there Henry I have to watch that Lazytown and it drives me mad but on a plus side my little girl loves the fishing programmes on discovery real time so we watch them when i get home...

Anonymous said...

Try this thread Henry...

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136109

mine are three and five and I know the words better than them!!

atb g.

Danny Parkins said...

its that soddin charlie and lola that do my nut in buddy!!

Henry Gilbey said...

There is obviously a serious problem here !! We need help.....

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

Lazy Town, Dora, Peppa Pig and Scooby... Argghhhh.

When I manage to watch some fishing my oldest (5 years) wanders in with the usual "OH, not fishing again!!", gotta love them :)

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

South coast cod are VERY elusive this year, it's driving me nuts. So much so, I'm driving all the way over to Clacton-on-Sea on Sunday to chance my luck there... COD,C'mon!!

Danny Parkins said...

abbots has been showin its fair amount of decent cod!! deffo worth a try again, u need really big tides there and it always throws up some decent cod on our last session the lad next to me had 6... smallest was 4lb biggest was 9!

stroodsue said...

oh my !! i wish we cou;d get some decent ones round here up the river medway!!! i had a 1.5lb one at Medway City Estate 2 weeks ago my first !!! go sue!! lol going to try our luck at gravesend tomorrow!

Sue

Anonymous said...

Henry
Have been watching you fishing explots on t.v with some of your friends. and have enjoyed them. what about same thing but with people like myself who enjoy fishing but at a lower level or keen novice. and see if you skills can help others.

ROB