Tuesday 21 October 2008

A mighty return to form.....

  • I was wondering when the mighty AC/DC were ever going to get back to releasing decent albums, and at last they have come good again with their new one, called "Black Ice". From the very first track, this is a typical AC/DC album that will have you banging your head and air-guitaring along with Angus Young all the way through !! Check out some of the new tracks right here. Will I ever grow up ? Life's far too short for that when music like this is still being released.....

  • You know what to expect, but that doesn't take away from the fact that nobody does it quite like AC/DC does - I read one rather snooty review over the weekend that was lamenting the fact that Black Ice did not offer anything very new or different, but he totally missed the point (typical pseudo-intellectual music journo who seems to hate all kinds of music anyway). AC/DC are so great because they write awesome songs, plain and simple. They know what works, they know what they are good at, and thankfully they have decided to spend some proper time in getting a decent album out there once more. Nonetheless, I will always be a Bon Scott man at heart. Now if only I could get tickets to see them on tour, for it proved impossible the other day......

  • I have heard various reports about the Jersey Bass Festival that took place over the weekend, and while the winning fish was a shade over the magical 10lb mark (on bait), sadly the fishing was not half as good as it had been in the week prior to the event. Ain't that typical ? But I gather that the guys involved had a blast, and there were over thirty visiting anglers over from the mainland - it seems to be a really well run, popular event, and I will try to get over for it one day soon.

  • Below is a photo that I really like, of Andy Bignell right at the end of a cast while the fog surrounds him in a quiet blanket. While the bassing might have been a bit quiet over in south east Ireland recently, Graham told me the other day of some more huge mullet they had seen, estimated to weigh over 12lbs !!! Now if only some decent mullet anglers would head over there and spend some proper time on these fish, they would get a proper shock I am sure. The tiny Channel Island of Alderney might well be the mecca for mullet anglers chasing big winter fish, I have had a feeling for some years now that Ireland might well be the place to head for as well. Oh for more time......

  • If you ever get the chance to check out the awesome Norwegian fishing magazine "Alt om Fiske", have a look in the current edition at a big feature of mine on those magical golden dorado that I fished for and photographer earlier in the year. Look at pages 72, 73, 74, 75 and 76 for my words (handily translated into Norwegian, one of my many talents ??!!) and photos. Not much in freshwater comes close to these mighty fish, check out a load of photos from that trip right here. There are also a couple of photo essays here and here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Henry Do you know of a good lure for trolling behind a canoe. It needs to be shallow running and deadly on a slow troll. I use a Rapala j11 at the moment and that works really well but i would like to try something else. Hope you or your friends can help. Cheers for now. Al

Henry Gilbey said...

I can't think of a better lure than on my recent post, from Sunday - scroll down and you will see the one I mean.

Steve (My Dog Ate Art) said...

Like the photo on this post

Steve

Anonymous said...

Cheers Henry i will give that one a go. Al