Wednesday 22 October 2008

Greys sea catalogue front cover

  • Above you can see the cover for the new Greys 2008/9 Sea catalogue, with my photo on it - I shot this on the rocks between Treyarnon Bay and Constantine Bay up on the north coast of Cornwall, with the imposing Trevose Head in the background. I love this rugged coastline, indeed it is where I first ever went sea fishing, and I can still remember the exact spot that my first ever wrasse went and jumped on my hook. I have spent probably many thousands of happy hours up on that coastline, both for fishing and for family holidays - a proper winter storm is really something to see when it crashes full bore into those rocks and beaches. Awesome ain't the word.

  • Come to think of it, we used to fish hard during the big winter storms for the codling, at places like Newquay headland and Flat Rock in the Camel estuary. We always played it safe and tucked out of the way of the worst of the weather, but it was always big south westerly gales that used to get the codling moving inshore. You have to have that colour and "life" to the water up there that the big south west storms create. Getting out of the van at midnight on top of Newquay headland with a force 8 raging away was quite something. Driving home at dawn was another challenge as well. We didn't catch big fish, but often we caught plenty - far better than going to lectures or writing essays at university !! Those were the days......

  • I am told that this catalogue will be in the shops sometime soon, with a bunch of new products in there. I really like the look of the new Greys Platinum Bass rod for starters (check here), plus the reworked Apollo clothing. It was always good stuff anyway, but the new bits and pieces are even better. Have a look here. If you fish in the UK, you know why we need decent waterproofs !!

  • Anybody notice anything about the front cover photo ? You need to know the coastline to understand what I am on about.............there are also a load of my photos inside the catalogue as well. Believe it or not, the cover photo was taken in the middle of summer, even though it might look more like a stormy winter's day. My brother and I (the guy in the photo) caught a couple of bass that morning on plugs if I remember rightly. Nice conditions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Henry,

Nice cover shot! I live in Trevone and know the area very well. Having Trevose over there did confuse me somewhat though!! Haha. Can see what you've done now though. Good work. Enjoying the blog so keep it up. Must admit I've not fished over on that side much - tend to spend most time just plugging between here and Harlyn - with a reasonable amount of success. Always good reading about this area. Keep it up. Ben

Henry Gilbey said...

Glad somebody noticed - it wasn't me who did that to the shot, got a bit of a shock myself when I saw it as well. What on earth is Trevose Head doing over on that side ? Good to hear you are doing ok on the bass, awesome bit of coastline, what a cool place to live, have not fished it enough recently. Shout on henryAThenry-gilbey.co.uk if you are out and about.....

Anonymous said...

Nice one. Definitely will do. Just looking for a break in the weather now and keeping my fingers crossed that there will still be a few fish about!!

Same applies, if you're down ths way any time, click my name and email address etc is on the website there...