Monday 10 March 2008

Lovely weather to come home to !!

  • It is blowing a proper monster outside !! I am really glad I got back into Heathrow last night and not today - always fantastic to come back to some good old British weather. I thought my car was going to get blown off the motorway this morning. Del rang me up from the Isles of Scilly to tell me that they have had gusts to 90mph so far, so I guess he won't be out fishing for a while.

  • Below is another photograph from my Argentina trip - this is my 43lb golden dorado that I caught on a Daiwa Saltiga popper (get them here, they also work well for our UK bass), using the awesome Greys Missionary 6 40-100g spinning rod. This monster fish hit the popper at extreme range, virtually the moment the lure hit the water in fact, and it was all I could do to try and stop the dorado smashing me up on the rocks. The rod though really did the trick for me and I managed to pull the fish away from danger. Our guide Diego Centurion kindly cradled this venerable old female dorado for me before we gently released it. What a fish, something that will live with me forever.
  • Check out the current edition of Sea Angler magazine, there is a very cool feature of mine in there about the fishing on the ultra-remote Astove atoll out in the Indian Ocean, look at pages 60, 61, 62, 63 and 65. You have to see this place to believe it - Pete McLeod of Aardvark McLeod was out there last week and has told me more tales about broken rods, trashed lines and smashed egos !! I am presuming the Pete was there purely for "work research" purposes, and not because he is a saltwater fly fishing junkie - I am going to have to wash my mouth out with soap for ever suggesting such a thing. Whatever the reasons, you need to speak to him about a trip out there. Contact Aardvark McLeod here, and while you at it, ask them about doing this insane golden dorado fishing as well. Both are outrageously good fishing trips. Check out some more Seychelles photos here.

  • Also have a look at the current edition of Trout Fisherman magazine - there is a feature I shot with Nick Hart a while back, about fishing on the stunning Whistlandpound reservoir near South Molton in Devon. I love these kinds of places, and the fishing is often excellent. Nick has such a wide variety of waters around him, so get in touch and go fishing with one of the top UK fly fishing instructors.

  • Also in the current Trout Fisherman is a feature of mine on the remote Providence atoll, many hundreds of miles away from the Seychelles. Check out pages 122, 123, 124, 125 and 126 for some truly off the scale and breakthrough saltwater fly fishing for bumphead parrotfish and monster GTs with the FlyCastaway guys. Aardvark McLeod organises trips out there to fish with these guys, and I can not recommend them enough. See a load more photos here. You might get the impression here that I seriously love the remote Seychelles - if there is any better saltwater fly fishing on this earth, then I have yet to see it.

  • Anyway, back home now, and time to start clearing a mountain of work. I will put some more Argentina stuff up here in due course, and I will also create a web gallery of the best shots. What a place.

  • I forgot to mention the disgrace that was England v Scotland - I watched it in my hotel room in Buenos Aires and came very close to hurling the TV out of the window with the sheer frustration of it all. What on earth is going on with English rugby ? It was a pathetic performance by England and I am completely gutted. I am not looking forward to the Ireland match this weekend one bit.

No comments: