Thursday 21 May 2009

Are all fishermen as weak-willed as me ?

  • Ever since the bass show in Nantes earlier this year (see here), I have been trying to resist purchasing a new red rod - the Tenryu Super Mix 240. Hell, I pride myself on being decisive and very strong-willed, but when it comes to fishing gear then I guess I am as weak as the next (fisher)man....

  • Yes, you've guessed it, I gave in. I capitulated. I broke down and made the call. Whatever way you want to look at, weakness prevailed and I purchased the new red rod. Nearly three months resisting the urge to get this bass weapon, in fact I reckon I have done pretty well to hold out for so long - isn't it amazing how us anglers can justify a new purchase in so many different ways ?

  • I could almost hear Mick giggling on the other end of the phone, in fact I have a sneaking suspicion that ever since he had seen my eyes glaze over at the Nantes bass show he had been holding a Super Mix 240 back for me in a secret corner of his shop, knowing full-well that it was only a matter of time until he got a call like this (I got the new red rod right here) :

  • "Mick, you know that red rod ? Well. I've been thinking, and I reckon I need one. OK, I've got the Red Dragon Express and we all know it's the ultimate hard plastic plugging rod, but I think I need to add a degree of finesse to my fishing." (OK, cue the laughter on the other end of the phone. Henry, finesse ? Told you I could justify it to myself.) "How about I dust off my wallet and get a Super Mix 240 ? What's that, you've got a few in stock ? That's amazing, how did you know ?" (Cue more giggling from the other end). Never take a fellow bass freak for granted, it's lethal.

  • I will post my findings on the new weapon up here in due course. It is what I remember it being when I was shown it at the bass show - purposefully designed to be a true crossover rod that copes properly with soft plastics, hard lures, and some light vertical jigging. It's mine now !! I may be weak when it comes to fishing gear, but I've got a new red rod to add to my collection of one. What a stunning bit of kit.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Well done with the purchase of the new red rod. The tides and weather look good over the next few days; time to get out and christen it maybe! Now how can I justify buying one to my wife.............that may need a bit of working on! By the way, good article on handling bass in SA magazine.

patrick said...

weak willed, spineless, lacking in moral fibre and all round addicted to high end japanesse tackle it's all so shiney and new how can you resist and boys does it doi what it says on the tin. good on ye Henry! Week one of the ban over!

hector200 said...

weak willed, hell ya, nice new red rod.

saludos mi amigo.

Henry Gilbey said...

Steve - glad you liked the article, thanks for that. Hopefully we will all be inundated with bass around here soon !!

Patrick - three weeks to go, enjoy !! Yes, I am lacking in all kinds of fibre......

Hector - it's a lovely new rod.