Saturday 17 January 2009

Now this is proper hardcore fishing

  • I just had an email from Cato over in Norway, the drummer for one of the finest metal bands on this earth - scroll down to my post from yesterday and you will see exactly what I am on about. Not only can the guy drum like a human spider, but he is also a madly addicted and seriously good fisherman. I still owe him big time for the Norway programme we filmed a couple of years ago - without his knowledge I doubt whether anybody here in the UK would ever had heard of Rost to this day (see here for photos of the mad fishing).

  • I thought my flounder job a week or so ago was properly cold (see the post here), but I now see that this was virtually a nice summer's day when you compare it to what Cato and his mates have been doing over in Norway. Look this at this page right here to see a photo or two of what they have been catching - I don't understand a word of it, but the fish speak for themselves.

  • Proper ice fishing - I mean going out on the sea ice, cutting holes in it, and smashing some seriously good fish. How about thornback rays to 19lbs and spurdogs to 16lbs ? Awesome fish by anybody's standards, but now bear in mind that a couple of days ago they were fishing in -20 Celsius, right through the ice - no need for any casting either. Now that is serious cold, but the fishing sounds spectacular. Put me into cold like that and I reckon I'd curl up into a ball and start crying, but there is a big part of me that really wants to see this kind of fishing being done, and especially when you consider the fish they have been catching. Looks like very cool stuff to me.

  • Cato also tells me that Enslaved have been nominated for a Norwegian Grammy for their outstanding album "Vertebrae" - if they don't win it, I'll be astounded. You see, as I always say, fishing and metal mix together just about perfectly. But perhaps not at -20.........

2 comments:

PhilJ said...

Henry a word of warning.
I downloaded Vertebrae and memories of Motorhead gigs of the late 70's early 80's came flooding back...superb.
However I thought it would be fun to sneakily download it onto my wife's i pod for her to listen to at the gym. Bad Move ! She has just come crashing through the door looking like a wild eyed Valkyrie, sweating buckets and demanding favours which quite frankly should not be spoken of during the sabbath.
I am hastily downloading some Nolan sisters for her to listen too whilst she is in the kitchen setting light to something.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Henry Gilbey said...

What a result !!!, happy to help out - cheques to the usual address....